Monday, November 2, 2015

Research



The general research process includes the investigation of the practitioner's client or organization, the opportunity or problem, and the various audiences to be targeted for the PR effort. While studying the different case studies, I was drawn to the Media Relation Cases because of they way the information was presented. First is the general research goals, touches on what is to come in the particular section. 

Each subsection under the inetial research paragraph relates to a specific research method, first is client research, the pracitioner should be familiar with background data about the client/organization, this includes personnel, financial status, and reputation. It does not just end there, these cases are trying to enhance their media relations and attention must be given to the past and present media representives. I found this to be beneficial because how can an organication develop if you don't know what worked in the past and what changes were made. 

After establishing the purpose for client research we look at the opportunity or problem at hand (the reason for the program). Opportunity would present the good for itself, or has a problem arisen that will bring negative attention to the media. 

The final aspect of research is the audience research which is thought to be the most important. A media contact list should include:
 1. The type and size of the audience reached by each media outlet.
 2. The type of material used by the media outlet- spot news, featured material, interviews or photos.
 3. The name and title of the appropriate editor, director, producer, reporter, or staff writer who handles new of organizations such as the client's.
 4. The deadlines for that media contact- monthly, weekly, daily, morning, afternoon, eveining, date, day or hour.
This list is found on pg. 50.

The majority of the case studies use this format when implementing their research into their plan. I thought that the examples  I found were appropriate for the type of case and type of research that was intended. Not all research studies will be the same, I noticed this as I was looking at cases in different catagories like media, social media, internal, commnity etc. A difference I saw was in Social Media, ther is talk about a message and creating a story that can be most effective with the targeted audience.

This will all impact my research by really having to narrow down the importance of my product. The audience is a key part in my research, along with the client part. This also impacts my research because I need to have a focus group and along with deciding on my objectives which follows the research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment